Friday, June 11, 2010

Getting Organized.....oh, it's so much fun!

05-07-13- I am trying this link again. I have tested it and it should work. If not just let me know via email.
My Father's World K Grid






I have been working on getting ready to begin MFW, using 3 different levels. My little Jenna will be in Kindergarten and she is so excited that it makes me even more excited to teach her. However, the excitement can quickly turn to anxiety when I think of what needs to be accomplished. I know that I need to have my ducks in a row and be able to work as efficiently as possible. I don't have time to start a lesson then have to go traipsing off to find a worksheet or a book. I am as excited about my organized K program as I am actually teaching it. I can't take credit for the ideas, I can just be so thankful for the mothers who freely share them.

I have spent some time on the yahoo groups boards for MFW, there is a different loop for each level and one for MFW families. The one thing that has impressed me about the people using this curriculum is that a good many of them have been using it for years and that they so willingly help others who have questions.  It was there that I found the two main ideas I used to organize my K for Jenna.

Without further rambling I will do some show and tell.


I was impressed with the idea of putting all of the components in a binder. I found the best binder for the job at Staples. The Staples Better Binder is just perfect. Well worth the money! Inside I have it all, student sheets, teacher's manual and a place for other resources as well.

MFW recommends that you have 27 file folders, one for each lesson. I chose to have them in the binder. At first I was looking at using page protectors, but then I found these Avery pocket dividers. They just fit in the 2" binder. I separated each lesson in its appropriate week.

Its hard to see in the picture above, but the dividers came with labels that you can print on and then insert, beautiful! :)
As I go through the weeks I can easily tuck in material that will supplement that lesson.
Speaking of the lessons, the other wonderful idea was a file I found on the Yahoo Group page. Some wonderfully generous homeschool mom laid out every lesson on a grid format and shared it with the group. If you have looked at the MFW K teacher manual then you might understand why this is so helpful. It is a lovely program, but the teacher's manual had me a little confused. The layout in grid format made me feel like I would not overlook something. It really is a blessing. I have printed each week and put it in the divider for that week's lesson.

In the back of the binder I found these 1" Binder Pockets at my favorite place, Amazon, of course. I placed the Alphabet book in one and in the other I put the flash cards and the Teacher's Manual. (See that smiling face, she is so happy about her school stuff!)

There you have it, I also picked up a 1" binder for the student material. I am looking forward to filling it up!

One last thing, we will be doing Exploring Countries and Cultures also and I could not figure out where to put my map. I have had one on the wall and the youngins would pull it off of the wall. I knew it would cost a lot to have it laminated, done that with artwork and almost passed out when the man told me the price....after the work was done. I decided (after asking on the ECC board for suggestions) to put it on the school table and place a clear tablecloth on top. The kids already love it.
Oh, the places she wants to go....


Well, I am quickly organizing myself out of excuses for not getting the work done and that is my goal. I really want to make the most of these days and not live with regrets over what I did not get done. The children are growing so quickly, I mean I am starting high school with my Jessie and if you cant tell that is just really getting to me!

I hope this is a help to someone else.

Blessings!

UPDATE:  I know that a lot of moms who are about to begin K come here and read this post. I'd like to link to the end of our K year and the videos of Jenna actually reading the last K readers! Click HERE: Jenna Reads

A Final Word: August 9, 2014
Did you know that MFW has updated their K teachers manual? Please go to www.mfwbooks.com and check it out. Now it is in grid format and easier to navigate. I upgraded my own manual. Blessings!

34 comments:

  1. Dear Precious Friend,
    I MISS YOU !!! How I would love to come over and SEE the things that you have done. My heart rejoices for you, and your work encourages me to GET TO WORK too! I believe our brother Paul said, "Provoke one another to good works..." And you have. Your enthusiasm can be felt and it is propelling me to think ahead and be prepared. I feel the same way about being a good steward of our time - it goes by so quickly - and I want my children to have the tools they need to do the work that God has for them to do in this world.

    Where did you get the beautiful map?

    Can we do coffee Wednesday, Thursday or Friday?

    I love you,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melanie. I followed your link from the MFW-K site to take a look at your binders. They look great!

    This is our 3rd year with MFW, but my first time with the K program. I've been going through the manual and the files and trying to get it somewhat organized for the fall. With 2 older girls to work with, I love the idea of having all the K stuff in 1-2 binders.

    I do have a couple of questions for you (1) I've been going through the grids/lesson plans and tryig to figure out which one to use. Which grid did you print? Is it Julianna's (I think) that is on the Excel spreadsheet and has the topics labeled on each tab? I hope that was descriptive enough for you so you know which one I mean LOL (2) What are you putting in the 2nd binder? Is that strictly for the student sheets? Is there a reason why you didn't put them in the larger binder?

    I also wanted to add that we put our maps on the dining room table when we did Adventures and ECC (this year) and it worked out great! It was nice to be able to "draw" on the maps (with dry erase or crayons) since it was under vinyl, they were great conversation starters at meal times and they were definitely handy. The only down side was that we had to keep moving our books out of the way to find things on the map LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam,

    I'm going to try to answer your questions here and hope that you see this reply. :)

    Yes, It is the file named Julianna's. I downloaded it to my computer and personalized it for us.

    The second binder that has the "Student Materials" cover sheet will be used to put her work in as she completes it. I filed all of the student sheets in the big binder so it would be easy for me to pull them out. As to why I just did not put them in the second binder, I was not sure what would be left whole for instance the readers and cut and paste sheets. So I will just keep them together and add them to her book as finished work. I hope that make sense.

    I love our map on the table, but never thought about having to move our books!

    Good luck and I hope this helps. I am so excited about our year with MFW.
    Blessings
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh - I hadn't considered that you were using the second binder for COMPLETED materials. That makes sense LOL We have done that with 1st, Adventures and ECC and it's worked out nicely to have everything in one binder that the girls can flip through and show off to unsuspectig visitors :) Thanks for clarifying.

    Looking forward to sharing the year with you. I'll be following your blog as time permits to compare notes LOL May God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie,

    I followed your link from the message board, and am so thankful that I did! My order from Staples should arrive today and I cannot wait to spend time this weekend getting organized.

    It has been about 4 years since I taught K to my daughter, so I am looking forward to a refresher sesson. Thank you for taking the time to share and answer questions about your binder. I am sure that it will be extremely helpful to have this system in place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie,
    Thanks for the comment. It makes me happy that others find this helpful!

    Blessings!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this. I have had a bit of a time keeping my K materials organized and this really helps!

    http://homeschoolblogger.com/sweetpetunia/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job with getting organized!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog. We coffee drinkers need to stick together ;)
    Looking forward to reading your MFW adventure.
    Blessings,
    Linda<><

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job with getting organized!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog. We coffee drinkers need to stick together ;)
    Looking forward to reading your MFW adventure.
    Blessings,
    Linda<><

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello there! Thank you for this blog post! I love it, and your "getting organized" skills are wonderful! This will be SO helpful to me as I'm in the 1st stages of getting my MFW-K organized! So here's a huge THANK YOU to you!

    I've been searching for the "The layout in grid format" on Yahoo, and I think it's been removed. Do you have a link or anything to the format grid that I can download?

    Happy Schooling! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ grace4cyn- I would love to help you get the grid format plan. One easy way would be to follow this link below and in that post she has a new file that she has just finished and it is nice. If you cant find it there then I could email you an attachment.

    Hope this helps! (and I hope you get this note:) )

    http://tinahollenbeck.blogspot.com/2010/07/weekly-wrap-up-5-july-4-to-july-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for visiting from MFW Blog Roll. I love your idea about putting the map on the school table. That may solve my problem of not enough wall space. Have a blessed school year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is really helpful! I hope to use it next year. I will be using K next year. I am doing R2R with my older girls, but my son will be in K next year. I have to bookmark this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the table cloth idea! Thanks for that. I'm gonna have to find a clear tablecloth. Ours is on the wall by the table but it's not really a practical place for us and I keep having to tack it back up anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for this post!! We are going to start MFW K in a month and am so grateful to have found this. Beautiful blog!

    Blessings,
    Cindie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Melanie ~ Is there anyway I could get a copy of the weekly grid schedule format you mentioned for MFW K? I have tried to join the yahoo group, but it's been pending for weeks.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd like a copy of the grid too. I just purchased MFW K and want to start getting organized. I joined the Yahoo group too, but it has been pending for a while now. Deandreadean at gmail dot com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was just wondering how this system worked out for you. I am also anxious to see how you organize 1st Grade (if you are using MFW).
    Can you explain what some of the pro and cons of your organizing system of MFW K? I am considering doing this too.

    sharonsaad at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm with some of the other ladies above, the yahoo group moderator does not seem to be approving memberships. Any way that I could get that grid format as well? Thanks a ton, I so appreciate it! I've looked and looked and have not been able to find it anywhere!

    trinette at tds dot net

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another homeschooler wanting the grids! I also can't get into the group!

    jodivanderhoof at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! I am sure that everyone in the world is asking you for these ... but I also would LOVE the file of the grids. I would really, really appreciate it. I cannot find them. My yahoo group membership is still pending and I followed the above link without any luck. I just recently bought My Father's World K and would love to get organized a little more before starting.
    P.S. I am a binder girl myself so thank you for the organization tip!
    Thank you,
    Tracey at Tot Play: A Learning Journey
    tlmswt2000(at)msn(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi! Love the binder! I have the new lesson plans from Tina but I think I would like these older ones better. Is there a way I could get these? Thanks!
    Groceriesr4me(at)msn(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just love this post! I am beginning MFW K in September and have been looking for an efficient way to organize. This looks exactly like what I was looking for. I will definitely be doing this. Did you also just put in Internet resources for each section as well?

    I'm also toying with the idea of having the binding cut off my TM and putting it in page protectors In a Better Binder as well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! Love your blog and reading about MFW. Starting K in a couple of weeks, another asking for the link to the lesson plans. Waiting for membership approval on the Yahoo group for awhile and need to start in two weeks. Thanks

    deea714@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi. We will begin homeschooling this September. My DS will be in K & my DD will be doing preschool stuff. I LOVE how you organized your binder. I was initially planning on using the file cabinet approach, but I didn't like that idea. Thank you also for noting that there is a yahoo group for MFW. I'm going to go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would also love to have the grid! I am starting MFW K in the fall and am looking for ways to get organized! How did this system work for you? I can't wait to try it out! Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just got our MFWK kit and am trying to get organized. I found your blog and am in awe!! I know these posts are old but just wondered if you still have the grid I could get a copy of? I tried the link and it didn't work. If you still have it and are willing to share I would be SOOOO grateful! my eamil is sparke1216@gmail.com MANY blessings to you! Thanks :}

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can you please send the files to download for the plans; I wasn't able to get them to come up. Thanks! susanbailey@baileystowinginc.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. hi! found your blog and love the organization suggestions for mfwK. I have been using mfw for 3 years but this will be my first Kinder! :) Very excited. simple question for you-- your AVery pockets are double pockets? One on each side? So did you buy 27 double pocket inserts or only 14 and use both sides....one side week 1 and one side week 2. Does that make sense? I love to being organized. ps...have you done Ex-1850? know Any good blogs to follow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy! I am glad you liked the post. I bought 27 folders, one for each week. We are doing EX-1850, I just haven't been a good blogger lately!
      I know there is a MFW Blog roll. Have you linked up?

      Delete
  30. If you by chance still have the grid, I would love to have a copy since we are starting MFW-K next week. lindacumby at yahoo dot com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi There,
    First I want to say THANK YOU soooooo much for the wonderful tips. I'm literally in tears over here because your lesson plan for Kindergarten is literally an answered prayer. This is my second time teaching MFW kindergarten but this time I'll also be doing Adventures and have a toddler hanging out with us and I've been going CRAZY with trying to figure out how I was going to organize all this. SO thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing all your hard work. I KNOW that took time and I just want you to know I am extremely grateful. Many blessing to you!

    Shelbi

    ReplyDelete
  32. I can not seem to get the grid to download, if by chance you still have it could yo email it to me at thegulyas8@eastlink.ca THANKS so much!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi there,

    How did you organize for Exploring Worlds and Cultures? I am really confused as to how I should have the binder for the children and how to organize/plan for the day. I am so full of butterflies and anxiety.
    HELP!
    Many Blessings,
    Lirio
    liriodrayton@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Let me know you stopped by. I love to read your comments and thoughts. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails